Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Second Time Around

Many times my like or utter contempt for a remake depends on how I felt about the original version. If I loved the original, the new one probably irritates me intensely. If I was not around for the first go, I am usually more open to a different take on the song. Sometimes the new interpretation is not necessarily an improvement, but good in another way. This brings us to the Ten on Tuesday topic. I like these remakes, and I like many of the originals. After writing this list, I have a good soundtrack in my head. I will take that any day.

Ten Favorite Song Remakes

Somebody to Love (Queen/George Michael)
I Will Always Love You (Dolly Parton/Whitney Houston)
(I Can't Help) Falling in Love with You (Elvis Presley/UB40)
I'm a Believer (Monkees/Smash Mouth)
Higher Ground (Stevie Wonder/Red Hot Chili Peppers)
The Man Who Sold the World (David Bowie/Nirvana)
Hurt (Nine Inch Nails/Johnny Cash)
Red Red Wine (Neil Diamond/UB40)
Always on My Mind (Elvis Presley/Pet Shop Boys)
They Won't Go When I Go (Stevie Wonder/George Michael)
blog comments powered by Disqus