Thursday, November 06, 2008

Colorwork Calls

I decided what to knit for the son. When he saw it in the Knit Picks catalog, and noted that it is the type of hat he likes, I went to order it right away. However, it was unavailable at that moment. I checked back later, and saw in my Saved for Later basket that I could add it to my shopping cart, and I did so immediately. When it arrived a few days later, I was so excited. I looked over my kit, and discovered that they had made a few color substitutions. I think they did a good job with the other colors they chose, but I was still surprised at the changes. In my stash, I have one of the three back-ordered colors, so I can use Bark (as in the original pattern) instead of its alternate, Navy, if I choose.

My color options are not the only choices I face. The pattern for this hat is neat. There are extra charts from which to choose. For example, I can use either the ripples or the llamas chart (the charts label them as alpacas, but they look more like llamas to me) on the earflaps. There is plenty of yarn in this kit to make more than one of these hats, but the son is probably the only one who would wear one.

I am excited at all this project offers me. As the earflaps are worked back-and-forth, I have my first opportunity to work stranded on the purl side of a project. I also plan to try a different method of colorwork. I have never tried this before, but I think it might be ideal for this hat. I have also seen the beautiful work of other knitters who employ this technique, and I would like to try it.

Now all I need is to make the time to get going on this hat. I have everything set aside in a bag, and the kit calls to me. It has several different calls. At times, it comes from the colors, or it can be the promise of new techniques and learning, and other times it is knitting for my son and the impending deadlines that urge me to this project. Whenever I do sit down to knit it, I know I will enjoy it, and it will be a wonderful labor of love.
blog comments powered by Disqus