Wednesday, August 01, 2007

I've Got Rhythm

I enjoy knitting lace. I was not getting much enjoyment from knitting MS3. It is nothing against the pattern, or the beads or the yarn; it just was not happening. Sometimes that is the way it is. I can set aside the piece and see if I can work on it at another time. We just did not click, I tried to fight it, but I am glad I finally decided to give it a break. Now I have lace flowing from the needles. Print o’ the Wave and I have a nice rhythm. This is the way lace knitting should be. I find myself trying to make my best time on a repeat. Sometimes I am really flying, but then have to take a break. I was even able to work on it at Barnes & Noble. This was the first time in a while that I have made it on time and stayed the whole time for a Monday night with the Skanky Knitters. I know that trouble getting out is often associated with the dark, winter months, but it seems like July is also a difficult month for many. Anyway, I love knitting this stole. Zephyr is perhaps the perfect lace yarn.

I am over 75% done with one half of the center panel. I am considering making a wee change to this pattern. You see, the pattern states (basically) that I should *provisionally cast on, work seventeen repeats, set aside, repeat from *. Then I am to graft the two halves, not the provisional cast ons, as I had first thought, but rather, the live stitches still waiting patiently on the needles. Now grafting does not really bother me, and I do it well enough on socks. I am not wild about grafting all that lace. I do believe it will show, and it is even more crucial to match tension, what with the blocking of lace and all. My thought is to provisionally cast on, work seventeen repeats, then work seventeen more repeats from the cast on end. This would still have the lace flowing from the center, but it would still change the look of the shawl. Of course, I will put in a lifeline before attempting such a modification, but otherwise, do you have any thoughts? Last night I asked a couple of my trusted Skanks, and they think it will work.

Speaking of Eunny, I am more entranced by the Tangled Yoke Cardigan than I ought to be. I wish they included a bit more information in the preview. I would like to know the gauge and the sizes. I need to know how much yarn I should buy for this sweater. Rowan Tweed is a bit out of my price range. I am considering Knit Picks Merino Style in Hollyberry. Whaddya think—acceptable substitute? In addition, I am considering buying Knitting Workshop or Knitting Around by Elizabeth Zimmermann. Thoughts, anyone?

blog comments powered by Disqus