Wednesday, January 31, 2007

You Load 13 Pounds

Whaddya get? In my case, you get two skeins of Louet Gems in Navy. If you had some unwanted stash (full skeins with labels only, please), you could trade it in for $1/pound in credit to be spent that day at a yarn store not too far from me. It only cost me $3.13 after my credit was applied. I do believe I will receive more pleasure out of knitting these two skeins than I would have with what I brought in to the store.

Most of what I traded in was not yarn I had purchased. The majority of it had been gifted to me over the years. You may have had this experience. Someone knows you knit and knows of a stash of yarn that belonged to someone somewhere. You accept the bags, sight unseen in the hopes that it will be one of those fantasy scenarios. I know I am not the only one to have these types of daydreams. Instead, it is usually a lot of easy-care, synthetic yarn that needs airing out. I have knit my share of this yarn for appropriate gifts. My niece was the recipient of several blankets and hats for her baby dolls last year, and it all came from these unexpected gifts of yarn. I have also donated multiple bags to people seeking yarn with these characteristics. In fact, I read of just such a request the other day. If they are open to receiving yarn that has lost its label or is not a full skein, I will pass on the remaining bag I had planned to trade in at the store. Otherwise, it will go back in the other room until it is needed. This adventure has helped me to organize my yarn a bit better. Elisabeth mentioned that she has a database organizing her stash. I like the idea, but I don’t quite see myself doing it. Still, I know I can better organize the stash and all it entails, and will give it more effort.

blog comments powered by Disqus