Monday, November 12, 2012

Why I Do What I Do

It is not always necessary or advisable to spend too much time thinking about why I do what I do.  I spend more than enough time with that as it is.  However, sometimes people ask, and if I do not know already, it makes sense to figure it out.  I am, of course, talking about Color Affection.  For someone who knits lots of teeny-tiny things and lace, it has seemed something of an odd choice to some, and in some ways, it is.  This is not a criticism of the pattern at all.  It is a lovely, squooshy, cozy, hug of garter stitch, and after I get over my temporary dislike of the colors, (this always happens toward the end of a big knitted thing) I think I will wear it often and love having it.  

ColorAfflictionFO I knit this as part of a mostly-local KAL.  Being who I am, I have to be careful that I do not just stay at home and let connections wither away.  I found that I had been doing that more than is good for me, and if I did not put more effort into it, I would likely no longer have a social knitting group, and that is one of the few ways that I get out and spend time around people who are not family.  I was not making it a priority, and I was letting everything else come first.  Since no one could do anything about it but me, I had to do something.  When the plan for the Color Affection was hatched, I viewed it as the perfect way to be present and participate, and perhaps strengthen some bonds.  Even if it did not help out, I would have a new warm and snuggly, and that is always good.  
MistyMountainFarmBFLSilkVictorianRose
So, there you have it, and my garter-stitch-iness is not yet at an end.  While at SAFF, my sister-in-law fell in love with some BFL/silk fiber and asked for a scarf, and with a little bit of investigation, I discovered that it is a garter-stitch scarf she desires.  Yep, I'm going to be spinning and knitting a fingering weight garter-stitch scarf.  There's no mystery on why I'm doing this--love.
blog comments powered by Disqus