Tuesday, May 22, 2012

I Wish I Liked It

I recently read The Happiness Project:  Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun.  It has some interesting parts, and as I read it, I thought about many things.  I could probably blather on about it, but I am not much of a book reviewer, and I feel very wrong recommending a book or not; it feels very naked and weird.  For example, I read We Need to Talk About Kevin, thought that, overall, it was quite a book, but cannot quite urge anyone else to read it because it is not a feel-good read, and, well, other things.  

So, if I am not going to review the book or really talk about it, why did I bring it up in the first place?  Well, this week's Ten on Tuesday topic brought it to mind.  In it, the author writes of her personal truths, commandments, and happiness theories, often in the form of lists. One such list is her Secrets of Adulthood, and these are two that I thought of when I read this week's topic.  

You can choose what you do, but you can't choose what you like to do.  
Just because something is fun for someone else, doesn't mean it's fun for you--and vice versa.  

Anyway, I do have my list of things that I wish I liked, have tried to like, but am not going to torture myself over whether I like them or not.  There are things that are optional, and those that are not, and getting bound up over whether I enjoy them is supremely unhelpful. 

Blueberries
Raw tomatoes
Exercising
Certain People
Sports
Housework
Dancing
Getting Up Early
Olives

Being Neighborly 

What with all of this happiness talk, I felt compelled to knit a little bluebird of happiness (which, by the way, is quite a challenge to photograph).  I hope to keep it perched next to me as a reminder to keep my focus where it belongs, or maybe it will flap its little wings and chase off the drama llamas. 
blog comments powered by Disqus