Sunday, October 16, 2022

Challenge Accepted

Many of you reading this have never and probably will never meet me in person.  You may have some ideas about my personality, or perhaps you've never really given it much thought at all.  I'm an introvert, weird, and sometimes if I receive a quick response on a text/dm/email, I find it extremely difficult, bordering on impossible, to respond that response, but write imaginary ones in my head for hours, days, weeks, months, or years.  I alternate between very short texts and emails and tremendously long blocks of writing.  That being said, I doubt you'd be surprised to know that I can chatter away with someone for a really long time.  Fun fact:  I'm a telephone pacer.  I wander about, walking back and forth if I'm on the phone for any measurable length of time that doesn't require me to be seated.  I'm also a telephone avoider, (although I don't hate the phone) am awkward, and have not yet developed the skills necessary to not rattle on and on until something comes along and necessitates an end of the telephone conversation.  

Recently, I've reconnected with someone I met through knitting back when I was an in-person social knitter.  We have been having weekly Zoom meetings lately.  It is the free version, so we are limited to forty minutes.  I don't think we are related, but if we are, we don't need a full-on genealogy survey to find a common ancestor, because if one exists, it's obviously Chatty Cathy.  So far, we've been mixing small recaps of recent history mixed with what is currently happening in our lives.  It seems like we've barely begun when the ten-minute reminder countdown clock appears.    

Black, partially knit cardigan draped about a pink, spotted, squishy stuffed animal
  So, while it might be frustrating at times when one of us is mid-story when the video feed cuts out, I choose to look at it in a positive.  This could be a chance build some (much needed, in my case) skills while staying in touch.  Sure, it's a challenge, but it is also an opportunity to make the most of limited time.  And if we keep up with meeting weekly, we might even get around to knitting together.  Speaking of knitting, I picked up the stitches on the black blob, and it could be perfect for working on during the Zoom chats.  I still need to knit a few rows on it to see if my pick-up rate was right, but I feel pretty good about it.  As I'm sure you can tell, this isn't a current photo, (and judge away, 'cause the picture is from February 2019) but possibly the best picture I will ever get of this sweater.
       

blog comments powered by Disqus