Monday, February 04, 2013

Block After Block

Well, there is only one more Christmas gift to show you all, and it was a doozy.  It was one of those ideas that nearly did me in, and had its hooks in me before I knew what had happened.  Since my mom found the pattern, she earned a portion of the credit and the blame.  

When the idea first struck back in September, I thought I would make these for everyone I know who loves Legos.  I would make one for the newest nephew, (the original plan) one for my younger brother, and then for the other two nephews.  My mom (she knows how to crochet) was going to help make blocks, too.  This would be a family effort, and so special.  It was going to be my go-to baby blanket pattern.  I was going to make one for Kitten's Elizabeth, and then for each of her other boys.  I have friends with little ones who go crazy for Legos, and I was going to make them for all of those kids.  Oh, I wasn't going to do it all at once, but maybe one every couple of months.  It all seemed so reasonable.

The little blocks that make up the blankets are so quick and easy to make that I had finished (even had the ends woven in) the first twenty in no time at all.  Then by the time I had thirty done, I was losing the will to live.  At this point, it was also apparent that Mom's crocheting, well, we will just say she would not be able to help with this.  Somewhere between blocks thirty and fifty-five, time stands still, with the exception of that brief moment at forty--the halfway point.  Amazingly enough, once I hit sixty I was back on a roll again, and soon after that, I had finished all eighty bricks.  I set them aside for about a week until I had the uninterrupted time at home to assemble it, and then I was done.  I was amazingly pleased with it, and I think I could make this again, but I just do not know when I will be ready to tackle the challenge.  

Anyway, the blanket was a big hit, and my younger brother was visibly jealous.  The baby chewed on it, but I did not get a good picture of him with his new blanket.  He was a very blurry boy that day, but I hope he loves his blanket for years to come.    

blog comments powered by Disqus