Monday, July 13, 2009

TDFDay6FirstBobbinsFinishedI cannot believe how much time I have spent spinning, yet have not used too much fiber. Let me explain. If my calculations are correct, during the first eight days, I spun a whopping six ounces on my wheels. I spun on the wheels all but one day, and that day I spun a small amount on the spindle. Yes, I am still on the first two ounces of anniversary fiber. Lest you think this is complaining, let me assure you that it is not. It actually makes me quite hopeful for the yardage. I must be in the process of creating skeins of yarn that will knit forever, right?


TDFDay8HappyTogetherMy nightly ritual has been to stop spinning a little after 11pm, take pictures, upload to flickr, and post to the sharing thread in the Tour de Fleece group on Ravelry. They are not very good photos. To say that they bear a strong resemblance to each other is an understatement. I take about three each day--one of the alpaca/tussah on Kiwi, one of the Shetland on Traveler, and one of the two together. While I know the daily progress shots are not likely to win any prizes, (there are two each day) I still like posting them. I think it is great that so many people are showing what they have spun. There is a wide variety of styles, colors, skills, fibers, wheels, and spindles. I am always excited when the voting opens. I usually grab a drink and relax while I just take in the images and inspiration. I love that I can cast a vote for more than one favorite of the day. I feel like I am learning so much.

Speaking of learning, let's talk spinning books. People really seem to like the new book, Spin Control: Techniques for Spinning the Yarns You Want by Amy King. I would like to learn more about spinning, and am thinking about books or dvds. I might like to take a class one day, but the opportunity for that is not currently available. Anyway, I am looking for book and dvd recommendations. If you have suggestions, could you tell me what it is about that resource you believe is helpful? I am seeking this information out for another reason, too. My grandmother just bought her first spinning wheel, and she is seeking books to expand her knowledge and skills, too. For her, it has to be books, as she does not have a dvd (or vhs, for that matter) player, and for some reason (*cough*Grandpa*cough*) seems resistant to the idea of one. She will be visiting at the end of the month, and I would like to have something for her. I already have some fiber, but may not be able to wait. I just might need to mail it to her this week.
blog comments powered by Disqus