Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What a Knitting Competition Should Be

I like Sock Madness. First, of all, there are the organizers. There would be no Sock Madness without them. They put in so much time and effort into the experience. They set the tone for the positive experience that keeps players coming back, and the cheerleading going. They have worked throughout the year with designers and test knitters so that we can play once again. Thank you, Hillary, and Carole!

Then, there are the patterns. Each year, I learn at least one new technique, construction, or other helpful bit. It is a different experience for me to knit a pattern exactly as written, but that is how this game is played. Exposure to designs I might not have chosen on my own has also introduced me to different designers and different ways of knitting socks. Learning is always good.

Finally, there are the players. They keep the excitement and camaraderie going from the weeks leading up to the event, all the way through the last pair of knitters competing. They take time to post a helpful link or tutorial. They are quick to answer questions for new players, and warmly welcome the seasoned veterans of this game. They treat this competition with all the seriousness it deserves, and celebrate it with all the silliness that it is.
SalsaMerTinis
I made my way through Round 1 of SM3. I took advantage of the slower pace of the first round, and knit this pair more slowly. It feels like others have also chosen a more relaxed beginning to the game. The pattern was inspired by the Drunkard's Path quilt block. It does not want to show up very well in my pictures, but it was an interesting knit. I am a short-row heel kind of gal, but if I am going to knit a heel flap, it might as well be one with "Eye of Fauxtridge."

Pattern: Tropical Mer-Tini
Yarn: Knit Picks Palette Salsa Heather

blog comments powered by Disqus