Sunday, November 11, 2018

I Never Knew Her


I didn't know whether to bother digging into the past to pinpoint when I knit it.  It was years ago for someone I had never met, with just a person in common.  Anyway, she was getting married, and it seemed like the thing to do.  Over the years I heard some of the high- and lowlights of her life, but over the last bit, the updates have only been of the latter, and this last bit has lasted longer than many had guessed, but now it is over for her.  

I don't know if she ever wore the shawl, if she liked it, if it made the cut as she packed and moved from state to state, or if it still exists in the home where she lived.  If it is still there, will it go to her mom now, will it go to her daughter, will it be thrown away, or shoved into a box that no one can ever get rid of or open?  

I don't suppose I'll ever have answers to those questions, I'm certainly not owed them, and I don't think I really want to know.    
blog comments powered by Disqus