Saturday, November 12, 2011

Planning

I picked up a little yarn at a sale several months ago, and when I showed my purchases to my mom, she took a special interest in a ball of mystery laceweight. She usually joins me in oohs and aahs over pretty yarn, but I could tell that she could see that yarn becoming something for her. This discussion reminded me of another we had about shawls a few weeks before, and I began to formulate a plan. Then, the idea melted away with eleventy-billion degrees of the summer.

Well, it is not summer now, and her birthday is not too far away, (but not too close to do this) so I think it is time to plan for her new lace. I have been flipping through my books, and I have some ideas. I know that she is looking for something triangular and not too big. That gives me many options. I could use an established pattern and knit it as written. However, I could take a stitch pattern and use it to plan a pattern on my own. I guess that can be called designing, but that feels like too grand of a term.

Anyway, the first step is to calculate the yardage on my mystery laceweight yarn. As that is not my strong suit, that might be the most challenging part of this process.


blog comments powered by Disqus