Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Preparation

I signed up for the Sock Wars way back when they were first announced, and I’ve been following the rules. That’s right, I’ve been annoying the daylights out of anyone whom I could force to listen. The upshot of this is that through my constant blabbering and the infectious nature of this event, nearly all of my Monday night s’n’b is participating in this worldwide event. There is a collective frenzy amongst us, although some have been able to maintain cool exteriors. We’ve swatched. We’ve plotted and planned. We’ve agonized and hypothesized. Will 50g/180yards/160 meters of dk yarn really knit a pair of adult-sized socks? Are these going to be decorative socks? Has the whole foot size issue been dropped? Will it be toe-up or top down? There have been ethical dilemmas. Does my yarn have too high of an acrylic content? What if I must kill a friend? How will I care for my family while I’m at war? Why is there an appalling lack of pleasing colors in the yarn in my budget with which I can achieve gauge? Is it right to incorporate Fun Fur or some of that poo-poo brown Bernat Disco that so many of us received for free into the cuffs of the Socks of Doom? I for one will be using Woolease Sportweight yarn. I was roundly abused over on the forum for suggesting this yarn as an economical, widely available (oops, I just looked on their website and see that sportweight is discontinued) option for Sock Wars. Yes, Woolease socks are the foundation for all foot fungi, knitting with it causes carpal tunnel syndrome, and it is the root of loose morals and tooth decay. Puh-leeze! Allow me to let you in on a little factlet. I’ve got gauge, kids, and that is what matters. I’ve also knit more than one comfortable pair of socks with this kind of yarn, and they have held up over the years. That being said, if you don’t want to knit with the Woolease, don’t kill me before I finish the socks. Speaking of the pair of socks you don’t want to have to finish, Monday Night’s Brittany has been able to achieve gauge only with Lion Cotton. Upon plunking the gauge-producing yarn on the table, she exclaimed that she might be the tightest knitter in the land, although there is competition amongst our group for this title with Beth. It would seem that most of the group wants to be able to kill at least one other sock warrior. I’ve only heard one amongst the Monday Night s’n’b Skanky Knit group who views the idea of having to kill another group member as fun. There are talks of public execution. Oh, this is going to be a fun event. Please remind me of this if I’m not listed as a fallen comrade a month from now, or if I am on the list Saturday.

I'm staying up all night tonight on pattern watch, and then--knitting. I had hoped to have one last get together with my local sock warriors. Instead, we kept the nephew who isn't feeling well. A 4 1/2 year old boy who is just sick enough to be kept out of daycare makes for a less than fun house. Ah, I love him! I'm just going to have to let him watch Star Wars, Finding Nemo, or whatever else he wants to keep him busy while I'm knitting the International Sock of Doom.

It’s not all about socks around here, but before I move on, have you heard about this? Anyway, since the yarn arrived last week, I could begin my preparation in earnest for the knitting of Snowman and Skates for my mom. Armed with a tape measure, I was able to corner her and get the information I need. I still need to swatch. I believe I found an error in the pattern booklet. It’s not a big deal. The supplies list that one needs US size 3 (3.25mm) needles. This size is noted elsewhere in the booklet. However, under the gauge section, it reads 28 sts = 4” using size 1 (2.25mm) needles in stockinette stitch. At any rate, the steeking instructions leave much to be desired. In fact, they basically encourage the knitter to consult knitting reference books or to do an online search for further instructions on performing this scary maneuver. This is fine, because we have the lovable Eunny Jang (have you seen these socks?) to guide us through the steeks. I’ve made a quick read through her guide to the world of steeking. I think I’m going to employ the crochet method. It all remains to be seen. There is still a lot of knitting to be done between now and then. Heck, I haven’t even swatched yet. I also have to decide between embroidery floss and yarn for the snowman details (and doorknobs, too). That’s also one of those decisions that can be left for later. I’ve even considered using beads for some of the finishing bits. Or would that be too much and turn it into one of those horrible holiday vests?
blog comments powered by Disqus