Monday, February 18, 2008

C is for Cookie

That's good enough for me. Each time I have worked on this post, that song popped into my head. I tried to fight it, but finally gave up and gave in. Cookies are good, and they have been a good part of my life. My mom used to bake us chocolate chip cookies every year for Valentine's Day. She had an old shoebox that she covered in heart wrapping paper that she filled with the cookies. Christmas cookie baking is one tradition I have taken with me. I have so many good memories of baking.

Then there are the Girl Scout Cookies. I was painfully shy as a child. I still struggle with it now, but I am much improved. Anyway, by the time I became brave enough to join the scouting world, the local troop was full and not accepting new members. My mom, along with two other moms, started another, smaller troop. We were much older than the typical new scouts, and something of a different troop. We earned few badges, but had fun. If any boxes of cookies were sold, it was because we went door-to-door, not because a parent took the form to work. It was a positive experience for a group of girls who were left out and left behind.
blog comments powered by Disqus