Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Good Times

The recent enjoyable holiday week made maintaining a thankful mindset the other 364 days of the year easier. Much has happened. My grandparents have been in town. Grandma quilts, knits, crochets, and mostly due to my influence, has begun spinning. There has been so much to show and discuss.

Grandma has a drop spindle. I tried to teach her the thigh roll. She said that watching me demonstrate the technique helped, but she did not quite master it. She bought Spinning in the Old Way by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts. Perhaps Priscilla's writings will help fill in the gaps.

Grandma tried out my wheel. I wish that I were
a better teacher. We tried so many different things. If only I had a staff photographer, you could see me treadling while Grandma handled the wool. You could also see where she treadled, and I tried to hold my hands over hers to help with the drafting. That probably would have been a good picture. Instead, you get to see Grandma going solo at the wheel.

We had such a great time that it did not really matter that we were the only attendees at Friday's NAKG meeting.

We had a fabulous trip out to The Knitting Zone. We visited with Mary and saw the animals. Mary burned off her holiday calories chasing her runaway pig. Mary nearly gave us her pig. Again, I do not have photos, but this time I have only myself to blame. Wait, I can blame it on wool fumes, right? I picked up a little laceweight, some bargain bin yarn, a little sale yarn, and Knitting Lace Triangles by Evelyn A. Clark. I feel like I may be closer to triangular lace shawl design just from holding the book. Grandma (from Illinois) could not pass up some corn sock yarn and a little bit of fiber so that she can spin more. Satisfied with a trip to a wonderful yarn store filled with fabulous yarn and staffed by wonderful people, we got in the car without even trying to make any of the goats faint.

I printed out some patterns from Knitty for Grandma and slid them into protective sheet covers. She
was interested in my Fetching mitts. She plans to make some of her own. I may knit her a pair and send them up for a surprise. Her birthday is in a couple of weeks.

Grandma and Grandpa will leave later on today. We hope they make it back down to visit again, soon. For now, it is time to rest up for upcoming holiday festivities. With the success of Thanksgiving under our belts, and this beginning for Christmas, I have hope.

Next time, see me remain positive when things do not work out as planned.
blog comments powered by Disqus