Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Prairie Rose Petals

After listening to me wax idiotic about The Knitter's Book of Wool and how enthralled I was with information about different breeds of sheep, you might think that my first knit from the book would be from an exotic yarn, spun from the wool of a rare sheep. Instead, I went to the stash for the yarn to knit the Prairie Rose Shawl. Since this is a gift, I went for the color I thought would be best for the recipient, and came up with Knit Picks Palette in Petal. Still, the information from the book flitted through my mind as I knit the lace. I considered the different characteristics the author urges us to look for when we examine a new skein of yarn. It gave me a different perspective as I formed PrairieRoseModeledBackeach stitch.

Actually, that makes the process of this shawl sound much slower than it was. This was a quick knit. The lace has such a lovely rhythm. The stitches danced by as the rows fairly flew off the needles. While I have plenty more of this yarn in this color, (Hi, Lizzie!) I did not knit any additional repeats of the main chart. Still, with this fingering weight yarn, I knit a nice-sized shawl. Now, I only need to get an address and pop it in the mail.

Pattern: Prairie Rose Lace Shawl
Source: Knitter's Book of Wool
Designer: Evelyn A. Clark
Yarn: Knit Picks Palette in Petal
Yarn Total: 114g/526.7yds
Needle: US 6 Knit Picks Harmony Interchangeable

blog comments powered by Disqus