Tuesday, December 29, 2020

The Skin You're In

As you know, much of my Palette-yarn-knitting (and, indeed, much of my knitting altogether) involves the wonderful patterns of Anna Hrachovec, especially, her tiny knits.  I do love to make the small creations.  It isn't a huge time investment to play around with different colors.  Personalizing the little people by skin color and tone makes my world so much brighter.  

Last year (I think?  Time, I tell ya, eh?) I was knitting multiple, tiny Elizabeth Warrens.  I was sometimes knitting outside on the front porch with some of the kids from the neighborhood.    Once when it was just one young lady and me, she asked for a knitted Christmas present.  Well, that could have been a bit dicey, seeing as how at the time there were around eight kids dropping by our front porch, plus a couple more they all interacted with down the street whose parents did not allow to leave their yards, and of course, visiting cousins.  You don't want to hurt feelings, and you can't make something for everyone, so I was a bit nervous.  Anyway, she was asking about all the Elizabeth Warrens I had been knitting and wondered if I could make other people.  You see, she wanted a mini-her.  She was old enough to keep quiet, so I agreed.  I asked her a few questions about clothing and hairstyle and got to work.  When it came time to knit the face, I brought out my bin of Palette flesh-toned yarns and let her choose.  Of course, her younger sister was along, so, yeah, I was making one more mini person.  They were satisfied with the color choices I had, made a couple more hairstyle request changes, and soon, I was able to give them their own mini-selves, and more importantly, they liked them!  

Well, over the years I've bought a skein here and there to expand my color selection for knitting tiny people, and what I've ordered has been hit-and-miss.  The Palette Mountain and Desert sampler box was a good purchase.  Sure, some call this the boring box, but it is exciting to me.  Now my flesh-tone bin has an expanded range, and I can see for myself what each of these colors look like in-person.  I love this collection!    



   

blog comments powered by Disqus